Friday, February 17, 2012

Skittle Picture Part 1

Over the past week, we started our skittle project. First we took pictures of ourselves, then used photoshop to re-color and pixelated them. We printed them out and counted each pixel; one pixel equaling one skittle. We cut out an appropriate sized piece of cardboard, and glue each skittle row by row. For most people this project is taking forever. At this point my project is about 3/4 done, and that's with two weeks of work, and my picture is also smaller than most of the others.


Below is  a picture of my project about half way done.

This is a project that I really can't say anything about until it is finished...right now I'm kind of scared because I don't think it looks right, but maybe the final product will surprise me. I have mixed feelings about this project. The good things are that it involves skittle, so I can eat candy during class, and also the idea is really neat and creative and could look really cool if done correctly. The bad thing is that this project is very time consuming and costly depending on how many skittles you use.

Look forward to Part 2 when my project is complete!

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Shadow Art

Yesterday my table and I made shadow art. First we decided on a theme (African Safari) then we made cutouts to produce the shadows. I made the lion on the far right.

I think that it turned out really well for a first time. We didn't really try to make it too realistic.

We traced the outline of the cutouts on blank paper then cut them out. We taped them to sticks, pencils, plastic cups, and to the table. The hardest part of this project was getting each cutout in the right place and making it stand with showing too many unnecessary shadows. It turned out really well.

Value Portraits

Over the last week and throughout this week we drew portraits of fellow classmates. We started by taking pictures of everyone, printed them out in black and white, then we swapped pictures. First what we did was trace the shadows' shapes onto a piece of tracing paper. Then we transferred the shapes into our sketch book and then shaded.

These are pictures of my (almost) final portrait. I'm not very happy with it, but I think it is decent. The hardest part was the hair. Just my luck to get a person with super curly hair. The outline of the hair is okay, but as you can see, the highlights are awful, so it doesn't look very curly. Another part I had trouble with was the nose. The shape was difficult for me and I kept shading in the wrong places. I erased and redid the nose so many times, but it still didn't look right, so I ended up just letting it be. What I'm most proud of with my project is the shading on the face, neck, and eyes. the eyes themselves are a bit crooked, but I shaded them pretty well. I am glad we did this project; I have never been good at shading and never really knew how to until this class. Because of this project I think my artwork will greatly improve and look more realistic.

This is a picture someone did of me!

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Tape Murals

On January 31st my group and I made the final product of our masking tape project. We started this project last week, starting with sketches and tape practice. Our theme was originaly art, but evolved into music; more specifically, hip-hop music. The entire mural was made of just masking tape and is displayed in the courtyard for all to see.

This is a picture of me assisting Danielle on the break dancer's boom box. India and I worked on the break dancer, Danielle did the boom box, and I made all of the music notes. It turned out to be better than we expected.

Here is a picture of the final product of our tape mural.